Monday, March 30, 2009

5/7 week update

did my checkup and luckily, I had very dry eyes when I did this last friday. I say luckily, b/c now I know what my eye strength is towards the end of the day when things go south. I am -.3 in one eye and -.5 in the other. The Doctor told me that this was not all bad, as being slightly nearsighted would be a way to buffer the onset of wearing glasses as my eyes gravitated to farsightedness. I didn't buy that. A couple alternatives were floated. 1. keep the eyes wetter, since the vision is good in the AM and probably things wear out later. 2. wear light-prescription glasses later in the day. I scuttled #2 immediately, as the goal here is to NOT wear glasses.
We discussed re-cuts. I asked the Dr. what the percentage of success/failure (overshoot or undershoot) was for this particular establishment on 2nd cuts. She didn't know but would ask. OK. I'm probably not going to worry about the -.3 eye. The -.5 would be the fixer-up-er. I still have a little ghosting that comes and goes with wetness/blinking. I"m not terribly concerned either way yet; I am minorly inconvenienced by my level of nearsightedness where previously I was unable to function w/out glasses. If we stopped where we are, I would probably have better vision than 90% of the world's population through history.
I would probably have to take some drops into the field with me when camping or elk hunting, but since I wouldn't be looking at a computer screen all day, I expect my vision would actually be better outdoors.
Next checkup in 6 months. The ghosting/dry eyeness *should* be gone by then. The head doctor should call to talk about options next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment